Vietnamese Spring Roll with Glass Noodles, Shrimp, Avocado & Arugula
I continue to crave light foods in the summer, so here’s my healthy and delicious twist on Vietnamese Spring Roll with Korean glass noodles, shrimp, avocado, arugula, and carrot — topped with a savory sauce made with soy sauce, juice of an orange, and sesame seeds.
- Rice Paper Sheets (1 packet)
- Jumbo Shrimp (8 pieces, 1 shrimp per roll, make sure to get the jumbo sized shrimp)
- Avocado (2 pieces)
- Carrot (1 piece, julienned)
- Baby Arugula (1 pack)
- Korean Potato Glass Noodle (6 ounces)
Cant’ find rice paper and Korean potato noodle, get them here:
- Soy Sauce (4 tablespoons)
- Fish Sauce (1 1/2 tablespoons)
- Water (3 tablespoons)
- Large Orange (juice of 1 large orange)
- Rice Vinegar (1 tablespoon)
- Sesame Seeds (1 tablespoon)
Don’t have fish sauce, get it here:
Ingredients you will need:
1) Prepare your sauce: in a small bowl, add soy sauce, fish sauce, rice vinegar and squeeze the juice of one orange, and finally add sesame seeds. Mix well and set aside.
2) Prepare your shrimp. Boil shrimp in salt water until cooked and then rinse in cold water. Slice shrimp in half, and you will dirty veins in the shrimp. Under soft running water, rinse the veins from the shrimp. Leave shrimp aside.
3) Prepare the potato noodles. In boiling water, boil noodle for about 5 minutes until it’s cooked. Drain and rinse in cold water. It is important to rinse noodle in cold water. Place noodles aside.
4) Slice carrot into julienne pieces.
5) Slice avocado. Step 1: In the middle of the avocado, make slice around the avocado. Step 2: with your hands, twist the avocado to separate the two halves of avocado. Step 3: with a knife, punch through the large pit so the knife is anchored in the pit. Step 4: once knife is anchored in the pit, you can move the pit around and remove it from the avocado. Step 5: with a spoon, carefully scoop out the avocado from its skin. Step 6: slice the avocado into thin pieces.
6) Line up all of your ingredients to place in rice paper.
7) In a shallow pan, boil water. After water boils, turn off fire. Take a sheet of rice paper and drown it into the water for like 10-15 seconds. Rice paper cooks very quickly.
8) On cutting board, carefully place the rice paper down. Try to flatten rice paper as much as you can so there are no wrinkles.
9) Add noodles, carrot, shrimp (use 1 shrimp per roll), avocado, and arugula.
10) Prepare to fold. Step 1: lift one side of rice paper and make one fold. Step 2: take each side of the rice paper and fold it in. Step 3: Continue to fold until you have a nice roll.
11) Take some of the sauce and drizzle over spring rolls.