Sweet & Sour Crispy Shrimp
Simultaneously sweet and savory, this recipe will hit all your taste buds. The sweet and tangy sauce covers each and every golden crispy shrimp, so you get the flavor of the savory sauce on every crunchy bite of the shrimp.
• Medium Shrimp (1 lb., between 30-35 shrimps, cleaned and de-veined)
• Flour (2 cups)
• Egg (2 beaten)
• Salt (1 teaspoon)
• Vegetable oil (peanut oil, sunflower oil, canola oil)
For Hot & Sour Sauce:
- Sirracha Sauce (2 tablespoons)
- Ketchup (2 tablespoons)
- Oyster Sauce (1 teaspoon)
- Honey (1 teaspoon)
- Oil (2 1/2 tablespoons, canola, sunflower, or peanut oil)
- Water (1 cup)
- Corn Starch (2 teaspoons)
For Sirracha and Oyster Sauce, get them here:
Lee Kum Kee Panda Brand Oyster Sauce (18 oz.)
1) Add corn starch into water and let it completely dissolve into water. Set aside.
2) In a small sauce pan, add chili sauce, oyster sauce, honey, ketchup, oil and corn starch water. Place over stove, and turn flame high. Once mixture starts to boil, turn flame to low, and let it simmer until the sauce thickens.
3) Place flour, beaten egg, and shrimp in 3 separate containers. Add salt to flour. Take each shrimp, dip it into beaten egg, and then dip into flour. Make sure there is no excess flour on shrimp.
4) In a hot skillet, add peanut oil covering entire skillet. Lay shrimp in skillet, making sure there is space between each shrimp so there is enough heat to cook the shrimp to golden crispy. Add lid or cooking foil for a couple of minutes over pan to trap heat, so shrimp cooks inside. When one side is crispy golden brown, flip shrimp over and finish cooking the other side.
5) Place cooked shrimp on platter and pour the hot & sour sauce all over it.